Social gaming and Zynga go hand and hand. Zynga being behind huge Facebook games like Farmville, CityVille and CastleVille. Zynga today announced that they are acquiring OMGPOP for around $200 million. If you haven’t played Draw Something before the premise is simple. Its based on the game Pictionary, where you are given a word that you have to draw and other players have to guess what the word is based on what you draw. Its super addicting and is support on Android and iOS and Facebook. This game exists in both a paid and ad-supported variety with the paid version getting rids of advertisements. Draw Something makes a majority of its money through micro-transactions; the unlocking of other colors to help draw pictures.
This is a huge deal as Zynga and OMGPOP are huge in their own right. Zynga having a strong partnership with Facebook and social gaming and OMGPOP being an online resource of free multiplayer games. This could be seen as a double edged sword, even though Zynga could bolster the popularity of Draw Something, Draw Something could lose a majority of its popularity if Zynga loads it up with advertising. Zynga could also makes some of OMGPOP’s other online games into mobile versions like Balloono, Hover Kart Racing, or even Booya.
Draw Something is quite an unbelievable feat and in the press release detailing Zynga’s acquisition of OMGPOP, some stats of Draw Something were outlined.
- In the last week, more than 1 billion drawings have been created.
- Draw Something had three drawings per second the day the game launched.
- Yesterday, Draw Something has over 3,000 drawings per second at its peak.
- Draw Something is the #1 word game in 84 countries according to the Apple App Store — shout out to Sweden and Norway for being the first two countries to recognize Draw Something’s greatness. Nordic Love!
- The most popular words in Draw Something are: Starfish, pregnant, hangman, six pack, boom box
- The least popular word in Draw Something is latrine
- The best guessed words in Draw Something are: Rainbow, catfish, sun, fish, house, god, tornado
- The least guessed words in Draw Something are: Oar, Metroid, Warhol, pounce, polaroid, meathead, Autobots
I look forward to to seeing what Zynga’s acquisition of OMGPOP will do to not only Draw Something but what effect it will have on Draw Something for Facebook. Draw Something is a fun time waster and I see much more content coming in the near future.